Sunday, January 25, 2009

All Inclusive Travel Packages


Ok I lied. Thinking a cruise would make our entire family happy as clams, I blissfully embarked on my journey to locate a cruise that would not only fit into our budget, but also provide us with at least one new port to explore. That was before the youngest one suggested we try something different, perhaps step outside our comfort zone and go someplace none of us had ever been before. That got me to thinking about all-inclusive resorts and how they can be found all over the Caribbean and Mexico, but strangely enough, none in the U.S. except for Club Med.

The first step is to decide where you'd like to go. What must you have on your vacation to make it an enjoyable experience? Gorgeous beaches? Activities plus kid programs? Great food? Top notch alcohol? All can be found although maybe not in one spot and at a price you can afford.


Step two-when do you want to go? We have no choice since we're all still in school and I've always been a firm believer that kids belong in school when it's in session and not on a family vacation. Just my personal opinion. Unfortunately, you'll find higher prices and quite possibly, hurricanes this time of the year.

Now that you've decided where and when, comes the research. This is something I've always enjoyed, even before I decided to become a travel agent. It's extremely important that I know exactly what I'll find when arriving at my chosen vacation location and sometimes, or I should say always, requires hours of research. Have I mentioned Trip Advisor yet? Even if I have, I'll risk repeating myself. This website provides an immense amount of information for those seeking information about particular destinations and resorts. I believe some information might be biased toward a hotel or resort, but read as many reviews as possible and make your own decisions. Or you could hire a travel agent like myself, to do the research for you. You never have to pay a fee and I can usually save clients some of their hard-earned money. There is also a fun game on the Trip Advisor website that tests your travel IQ.


My travel plans are still stuck on step one-where to go. Just when I think I have it all thought out, I stumble upon some exciting location with beautiful beaches and reasonable prices and the search begins all over again. I would be a horrible client for any travel agent. Right now I'm seriously considering Playa del Carmen, located about 20 minutes south of Cancun. Great beaches, although some have suffered erosion in the past few years. Many resorts to choose from although the one that catches my eye is Gran Porto Real and I'll tell you why. I've spent hours reading the reviews on Trip Advisor and a great majority of them are good. In fact, I had to really search to find a not-so-good one. It's on a pretty beach; several restaurants and bars to choose from; it's right next to the small town of Playa del Carmen. This is important to us because we are wanderers. Staying on a resort and never leaving it for six nights sounds like prison, while for many others, this is heaven. To each his own and here you could have both. Stay at the resort and take advantage of the many many activities and eating/drinking opportunities offered; or spend time at the resort but know that there is more to see within walking distance. I've also discovered youtube.com. I know, I'm slow. Type in the name of a resort and hopefully, you'll have a choice of videos giving you a way to "see it before you buy".

I think I just made up my mind. This is where my family will go this summer-the Gran Porto Real in Playa del Carmen, Mexico. But of course, there's still the Dominican Republic to check out and I don't HAVE to make up my mind right now.

Happy travels,

luv2travelwithme









No comments:

Post a Comment