Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Packing Tips

How would you describe your packing style? One of our frequent travel buddies likes to be prepared for anything. Rather than packing just enough outfits needed for a 7 day cruise, she prefers to pack enough to provide her with choices. Maybe she won't feel like wearing a particular outfit she packed for the second formal night of a cruise, so she packs several. Of course, this means more shoes and purses to complete those outfits. I'm more of a bare-bones packer. My goal, which at the moment hasn't been met, is to fit everything I need for a 7 day cruise into one suitcase. Since I don't wear dresses or skirts, my choices are comprised of slacks and various tops. I make sure that each choice can be worn with the same pair of dressy shoes, bringing my shoe wardrobe up to three for the entire voyage. Of course I must remind you that I am the one who once left several outfits destined for the dining room at home in my closet. Thank goodness they weren't mine!



Our first cruise departed from New Orleans and since we'd never been there, we arrived two days early. Add to that the drive from Kansas City, our clothes spent approximately three to four days packed like sardines in our suitcases. Thanks to my shrewd packing skills, there was not a wrinkle to be found when they were unpacked onboard Carnival's Celebration.


Everyone has their own method for packing clothes to yield the fewest wrinkles and I'm no different. Mine involves a multitude of dry cleaning bags which we got for free from our local cleaners. For wrinkle-free clothes, follow these steps:
  1. Place all blouses/shirts/pants/skirts on hangers.
  2. Put one to two hangers of clothing inside each dry cleaning bag.
  3. Begin laying these items in your suitcase. Stretch them completely out without folding in the middle.
  4. After filling approximately half of the suitcase in this way, fill it up the rest of the way with folded/rolled clothes, leaving a little room at the top.
  5. Fold the bottom half of the clothing in the dry cleaner bags over the folded clothes, forming a clothing sandwich.

I've also heard that using tissue paper works but I've never tried it. You'll find a multitude of packing methods on the web, in case you don't care for mine. As a public service, I've provided links so you can check them out for yourself. Mine are really the best though. Really.



One Bag
Create a custom packing list for any journey
Cruise Vacation Packing List
The Cruise Diva packing list
Cruise Clues Packing List



This should keep you busy for awhile. If you need some assistance planning this trip, I'm available. That sort of makes me sound like the last girl standing on the girl's side of the gym, waiting for someone to ask her to dance. That's OK, I can live with that.



Until next time,



luv2travelwithme
http://www.liberty-travelstore.com/








No comments:

Post a Comment